Within a 10 minute walk from the Blue Mosque, just around the corner from the Hippodrome, a new Turkish friend, brought us to a school he once taught machinery at. It was closed for winter break but the history of the school, the view of the Marmara Sea and Turkish Coffee was worth the detour!
History of the School
The school building was established by Philosopher Leon’s son, Byzantine Emperor Constantine.
???? – mental hospital
1054 – iron labor workshop
1453 – sword production workshop
1600 – textile workshop (for janissary clothes)
1700 – hospital
1800 – sword production workshop
1868 – industrial reformatory school
1909 – regional craft school
1923 – male craft institute (machinery)